Global Warming...A Global WarNing!

Go down

Global Warming...A Global WarNing!

Post by Jaimala25 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:21 am

Global Warming. Most of you have heard of it, but do you have any idea what it is doing to our environment?

The Earth's temperature has increased by 1°F over the past 100 years. That may not seem like a lot, but it is making a big difference. If the temperature keeps increasing, it will lead to changes in rainfall patterns, a rise in sea level, and a large impact on plants, animals, and ecspecially humans.

Scientists today think Global Warming is caused by what us humans are doing here on Earth. We are polluting the air, and creating a hole in the o-zone layer (The layer of the atmosphere that keeps bad heat coming off of the sun away from us) and that bad heat is getting in and melting the north and south pole, causing the oceans to rise. Another reason Scientists think the Oceans are rising is because of the melting of glaciers, large sheets of ice that move very slowly across the earth. Over the past 100 years, sea level has risen 6-8 inches, which is a lot!

Scientists think the cause of Global warming is Greenhouse Gases in the Earths atmosphere. Greenhouse Gases behave pretty much exactly like a real greenhouse. Sunlight enters the Earth's atmosphere, passing through the blanket of greenhouse gases. As it reaches the Earth's surface, land, water, and the biosphere absorb the sunlight’s energy. Once absorbed, this energy is sent back into the atmosphere. Some of the energy passes back into space, but much of it remains trapped in the atmosphere by the greenhouse gases, causing our world to heat up.

Do you want to know when you help send Greenhouse Gases into the atmosphere? Whenever you...
-Watch TV
-Use the air conditioner
-Turn on a light
-Use a hair dryer
-Ride in a car
-Play a video game
-Listen to a radio
-Wash or Dry clothes
-Use a dish washer
-Cook a meal
and many more!

To do many of these things, you need electricity. Electricity comes from power plants. Most power plants use coal and oil to make electricity. Burning coal and oil produces greenhouse gases.

It is important to understand that scientists don't know for sure what climate change will bring. Some changes brought by climate change will be good. If you live in a very cold climate, warmer temperatures might be welcome. Days and nights could be more comfortable and people in the area may be able to grow different and better crops than they could before. But it is also true that changes in some places will not be very good at all.

Climate change may affect people's health both directly and indirectly. For example, heat stress and other heat related health problems are caused directly by very warm temperatures and high humidity. Untreated, heat stress can be a very serious medical problem. Scientists suspect that, in many places, climate change will increase the number of very hot days that occur during the year. More hot days increases the possibility of heat related health problems.

How people and nature adapt to climate change will determine how seriously it impacts human health. Some people and places are likely to be affected more than others. Generally, poor people and poor countries are less likely to have the money and resources they need to cope with preventing and treating health problems. Very young children and the elderly adults will run the highest risks.

Driving a car or using electricity is not wrong. We just have to be smart about it. Some people use less energy by carpooling. For example, four people can ride together in one car instead of driving four cars to work. Here are some additional ways you can help make the planet a better place!
-Whenever we use electricity, we help put greenhouse gases into the air. By turning off lights, the television, and the computer when you are through with them, you can help a lot.
-You can save energy by sometimes taking the bus, riding a bike, or walking.
-Talk with your family and friends about climate change. Let them know what you've learned.
-Planting trees is fun and a great way to reduce greenhouse gases. Trees absorb carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, from the air.
-Recycle cans, bottles, plastic bags, and newspapers. When you recycle, you send less trash to the landfill and you help save natural resources, like trees, oil, and elements such as aluminum.

Thanks so much for reading this and please try to make a difference!
Jaimala25

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Global Warming...A Global WarNing!

Post by Polarity on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:28 am

Where I am, you are made to recycle, which I think is good. When we buy recycleable bottles and cans, we are charged extra for them. When you return them, you get money back. I know of places that are not like that, and you have to do it on your own. However, those places, it's harder to find where you can go to recycle items. In MI, you go to the grocery store and you recycle. I couldn't even tell you where to recycle in my parent's town...although I know that my parents recycle, because my mom is always saving stuff to recycle when I go there. However, I don't know where she takes the stuff. I wish everywhere were like here, where you know where to go and you are charged for it until you recycle, and then you get that money back.
Polarity
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:33 am

Amazing! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Admin

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://webkinzforum.3forum.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaimala25 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:25 am

I definetly agree with Polarity, that system is really cool. Here, we only recycle if we want to, and of course I do=]

Your welcome Admin=]
Jaimala25

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by twilightkitty on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:41 pm

I ride a bus to and from school, instead of my mom driving me...
twilightkitty

Female
Number of posts : 343
Location : Forks, Wahington 98331 (If you read Twilight, you'll get it!)
Registration date : 2008-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by twilightkitty on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Polarity wrote:Where I am, you are made to recycle, which I think is good. When we buy recycleable bottles and cans, we are charged extra for them. When you return them, you get money back. I know of places that are not like that, and you have to do it on your own. However, those places, it's harder to find where you can go to recycle items. In MI, you go to the grocery store and you recycle. I couldn't even tell you where to recycle in my parent's town...although I know that my parents recycle, because my mom is always saving stuff to recycle when I go there. However, I don't know where she takes the stuff. I wish everywhere were like here, where you know where to go and you are charged for it until you recycle, and then you get that money back.

we have to recycle to!!!!!!!
twilightkitty

Female
Number of posts : 343
Location : Forks, Wahington 98331 (If you read Twilight, you'll get it!)
Registration date : 2008-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaimala25 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:09 pm

2000th message!!!!!!!!!
Jaimala25

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down