The swedish DCT for nov.8th!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The swedish DCT for nov.8th!

Post by emmlag96 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:35 am

Hello guys and gals! Since I am swedish I thought I'd share some facts about my dear home-country.

Swedenofficially the Kingdom of Sweden (Swedish: Konungariket Sverige)is a Nordic country on the Scandinavian Peninsula in Northern Europe. Sweden has land borders with Norway and Finland, and is connected to Denmark by the Oresund Bridge. It has been a member of the European Union since January 1, 1995. Its capital and largest city is Stockholm, with a population of 802,611 and 2 million in metropolitan area, and it's by far the most populated city in Sweden and Scandinavia.

Gustavus Adolphus.During the 17th century Sweden emerged as a European Great Power. Before the emergence of the Swedish Empire, Sweden was a very poor, scarcely populated, barely known of country in northern Europe with no significant power or reputation what so ever. It was suddenly brought up to be one of Europes leading nations by the geniouse Axel Oxenstierna and the present king Gustavus Adolphus, thanks to territories seized from Russia and Poland-Lithuania but also greatly thanks to his involvement in the Thirty Years' War, which also made Sweden the continental leader of protestantism until the Empire's collapse in 1721.

Gustav Adolphus warfare against The Holy Roman Empire had a high cost of the lives of a third of all the Holy Roman population, and it took the position of The Holy Roman Empire as the mightiest country in Europe with Spain taking it's place. Sweden managed to conquer approximately 50 percent of the Holy Roman states. The plan of Gustav Adolphus was to become the new Holy Roman Emperor over a united Scandinavia and the Holy Roman states, however after his death in 1632 at the Battle of Lützen the adversities were increasingly frequent. After the Battle of Nördlingen the faith for Sweden amongst the Swedish controlled German states was severely injured, and these provinces excluded themselves from Swedish power one by one, leaving Sweden with only a couple of northern German provinces namely Swedish Pomerania, Bremen-Verden and Wismar.

In the middle of the 17th century Sweden was the third largest country in Europe by land area, only superseded by Russia and Spain. Sweden reached its largest territorial extent during this time under the rule of Charles X (1622–1660) after the treaty of Roskilde in 1658.[13][14] The foundation of Sweden's success during this period is credited to Gustav I's major changes on the Swedish economy in the mid-1500s, and his introduction of Protestantism.[15] The 17th century saw Sweden engaged in many wars, for example with the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth with both sides competing for territories of today's Baltic states, with the disastrous Battle of Kircholm being one of the highlights.[16]

This period also saw the Deluge—the Swedish invasion of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. After more than half a century of almost constant warfare, the Swedish economy had deteriorated. It would become the lifetime task of Charles' son, Charles XI (1655-1697), to rebuild the economy and refit the army. His legacy to his son, the coming ruler of Sweden Charles XII, was one of the finest arsenals in the world, a large standing army and a great fleet. Sweden's largest threat at this time, Russia, had a larger army but was far behind in both equipment and training.

After the Battle of Narva in 1700, one of the first battles of the Great Northern War, the Russian army was so severely decimated that Sweden had an open chance to invade Russia. However, Charles did not pursue the Russian army—instead turning against Poland-Lithuania and defeating the Polish king Augustus II and his Saxon allies at the Battle of Kliszow in 1702. This gave the Russian Tsar time to rebuild and modernize his army. After the success of invading Poland Charles decided to make an invasion attempt of Russia which ended in a decisive Russian victory at the Battle of Poltava in 1709. After a long march exposed to cossack raids, the Russian Tsar Peter the Great's scorched-earth techniques and the cold Russian climate, the Swedes stood weakened with a shattered morale, and enormously outnumbered against the Russian army at Poltava. The defeat meant the beginning of the end for the Swedish empire.

Charles XII of Sweden.Charles XII attempted to invade Norway 1716; however, he was shot dead at Fredriksten fortress in 1718. The Swedes weren't militarily defeated at Fredriksten, but the whole structure and organization of the Norwegian campaign fell apart with the King's death and the army withdrew. Forced to cede large areas of land in the Treaty of Nystad in 1721, Sweden also lost its place as an empire and as the dominant state on the Baltic Sea. With Sweden's lost influence, Russia emerged as an empire and became one of Europe's dominant nations.

In the 18th century, Sweden did not have enough resources to maintain its territories outside Scandinavia and most of them were lost, culminating with the 1809 loss of Finland to Russia which became the semi-autonomous Duchy of Finland in Imperial Russia.

After Denmark-Norway was defeated in the Napoleonic Wars, Norway was ceded to the king of Sweden on 14 January 1814 in exchange for northern German provinces, at the Treaty of Kiel. The Norwegian attempts to keep their status as a sovereign state were rejected by the Swedish king, Charles XIII. He launched a military campaign against Norway on July 27, 1814, ending in the Convention of Moss, which forced Norway into a personal union with Sweden under the Swedish crown, which was not dissolved until 1905. The 1814 campaign was the last war in which Sweden participated as a combatant.

Sweden publicly claimed to be a neutral country and the image was forcefully maintained, but unofficially Sweden's leadership had strong ties with the United States. In the early 1960s Sweden and the United States agreed to deploy nuclear submarines off the Swedish west coast. In the same year Sweden made a defense pact with the United States. Knowledge of this alliance was kept secret from the Swedish public until 1994.

Following the war, Sweden took advantage of an intact industrial base, social stability and its natural resources to expand its industry to supply the rebuilding of Europe.[30] Sweden was part of the Marshall Plan and participated in the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). During most of the post-war era, the country was governed by the Swedish Social Democratic Party (in Swedish: Socialdemokraterna). Social democrats imposed corporatist policies: favoring big capitalist corporations and big unions, especially Swedish Trade Union Confederation, affiliated with Social Democrats.[31] The amount of bureaucrats rose from normal levels in the 1960s to very high levels by 1980s.[31] Sweden was open to trade and pursued internationally competitive manufacturing sector. Growth was good until 1970s.

Sweden, like countries around the globe, entered a period of economic decline and upheaval, following the oil embargoes of 1973-74 and 1978-79.[32] In the 1980s pillars of Swedish industry were massively restructured. Shipbuilding was discontinued, wood pulp was integrated into modernized paper production, the steel industry was concentrated and specialized, and mechanical engineering was robotized.[33]

Between 1970 and 1990 the overall tax burden rose by over ten percentage points and the growth was very low compared to most other countries in Western Europe. The marginal income tax for workers reached over 80%. Eventually government spent over half of the country's gross domestic product. Sweden steadily declined from its perennial top five GDP per capita ranking. Since the late 1970s, Sweden's economic policies were increasingly questioned by economists and Ministry of Finance officials.[31]

Prime Minister Olof Palme was murdered in 1986.

A bursting real estate bubble caused by inadequate controls on lending combined with an international recession and a policy switch from anti-unemployment policies to anti-inflationary policies resulted in a fiscal crisis in the early 1990s.[34] Sweden's GDP declined by around 5%. In 1992, there was a run on the currency, the central bank briefly jacking up interest to 500% in an unsuccessful effort to defend the currency's fixed exchange rate.[citation needed] Total employment fell by almost 10% during the crisis.[citation needed] The response of the government was to cut spending and institute a multitude of reforms to improve Sweden's competitiveness, among them reducing the welfare state and privatizing public services and goods. Much of the political establishment promoted EU membership, and the Swedish referendum passed by 52-48% in favour of joining the EU on 13 November 1994. Sweden joined the European Union on 1 January 1995, after the collapse of the Soviet Union. During the Cold War, Europe's non-aligned Western countries, except the Republic of Ireland, had considered membership unwise, as the EU predecessor, the European Community, had been strongly associated with NATO countries. Following the end of the Cold War, however, Sweden, Austria and Finland joined, though in Sweden's case without adopting the Euro. Sweden remains non-aligned militarily, although it participates in some joint military exercises with NATO and some other countries, in addition to extensive cooperation with other European countries in the area of defence technology and defence industry. Among others, Swedish companies export weapons that are used by the American military in Iraq.[35] Sweden also has a long history of participating in international military operations, including most recently, Afghanistan, where Swedish troops are under NATO command, and in EU sponsored peacekeeping operations in UN protectorate Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Cyprus. Foreign minister Anna Lindh was murdered in 2003.

Enjoy! That's a lot to read Smile
emmlag96

Female
Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2008-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The swedish DCT for nov.8th!

Post by redwings left wing #11 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:48 am

My head is spinning from that! Were having a movie night tonight at my church. Were watching the newest Indy movie.

Go Obama!
redwings left wing #11

Male
Number of posts : 477

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by emmlag96 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:00 am

I bet it is! Wink
Oh! Nice! G2G,catch up with you guys later,take care,I'm going to see madagascar 2 Smile
emmlag96

Female
Number of posts : 190

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:46 am

2nd post!!

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male
Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:45 am

My head hurts now........ lol!

Admin

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://webkinzforum.3forum.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:48 am

why? welcome!!
congratz on 3rd post

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:50 am

oh cuz you read the post!!! LOL

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:59 am

Yep!

Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:01 am

ok Hi!!
I was thinking we should get another section for Beanies2.0 or Seapals!!! I have a seapal but there is no website for them? How about it?

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:02 am

You can make one!
Drew
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:02 am

a whole section? How

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:04 am

IDK

I have a football game later, maybe 2 if we win. (if we win 2, we win the Super Bowl!)

So, if Im not on, thats why.
Drew
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:04 am

oh ok!!!!! see you later

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kittycat on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:09 am

Morning people,wow that was a lot to read it would take me hours to type something that long. lol!

kittycat
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 482

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:09 am

hey kitty!!! RP??

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:10 am

I dont have to leave until about 10.
Drew
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:13 am

oh!!! LOL ok I might go to hallmark thoguh so........
LOL

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kittycat on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:15 am

Oh yeah its open house at Hallmark this weekend darn I can't go.

kittycat
Admin

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:16 am

My lip hurts.... Sad
Drew
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:16 am

Are they giving stuff away!!! like FREE Webkinz?when you buy one?

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:18 am

The nearest Hallmark to me is having a buy 1 get 2 free sale on trading card packs and ornaments
Drew
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:19 am

Maybe my mom will let me get an ornament!!
maybe they are buy 1 get 2 free too!!!!

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kittycat on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:26 am

Good luck hope you find something good.Tell us if you get anything.

kittycat
Admin

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:28 am

Thw webkinz server is down....

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:29 am

its back up

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:56 am

Ill be back later today, guys! Wish me luck at my game(s)
Drew
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:45 pm

I got the camel

Mozambique

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kittycat on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:14 pm

I went to Hallmark I got the orca wale and the dachshund.I did find 2 ornaments and I got a figurine free the chillin'out bear. Do you think WW will allow me to name the dog wiener schnitzel?

kittycat
Admin

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Polarity on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:42 pm

kittycat wrote:I went to Hallmark I got the orca wale and the dachshund.I did find 2 ornaments and I got a figurine free the chillin'out bear. Do you think WW will allow me to name the dog wiener schnitzel?

Laughing lol! I love that name...try it and let us know if you were able to name it that! That is hilarious!!! Wish I had thought of that.
Polarity
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 158

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:27 pm

Yes jjrrss?

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:31 pm

JJRRSS i made you a siggie pic

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redwings left wing #11 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:33 pm

Well its only good for me. My hallmark had a HUGE SALE today. The first was: Buy 1 big hippo (POTM) get a lil hippo free. So I did. I named them Bubba and Lil Bubba. The next sale was: Buy 1 webkinz, get one free and the third half off so I got a Camel, Cardinal, and Parakeet.

Go Obama!
redwings left wing #11

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redwings left wing #11 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks! Thats awesome! I'm gonna go put it up now! Check out my thread in HELP!

Go Obama!
redwings left wing #11

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 pm

YEAH!!!! camel buddies!! BTW i posted on your nameing thread if you wanna check it out!

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redwings left wing #11 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:13 pm

I named her Kalahari.

Go Obama!
redwings left wing #11

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:14 pm

What does kalahari mean?

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redwings left wing #11 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Its a desert in Africa.

Go Obama!
redwings left wing #11

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taigan Sloths! on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:28 pm

That's wha I thoguht!

Dawg...........
Taigan Sloths!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kittycat on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:35 pm

I was able to name my dachshund Wiener schnitzel so far no problems my bonus gift was a 1000 kc coin. Smile

kittycat
Admin

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Polarity on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:55 pm

Cool! I hate when I get those coins, though. I like being able to sell them for the extra cash, but I would rather them give me a rare item instead.
Polarity
Admin

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Polarity wrote:Cool! I hate when I get those coins, though. I like being able to sell them for the extra cash, but I would rather them give me a rare item instead.

Same, or at least another exclusive item!

Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Polarity on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:40 pm

I've got too many exclusives already...well, I would take one of the new ones, but I get so many repeat ones that it drives me crazy! geek
Polarity
Admin

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:41 pm

Thats what trading is for! lol!

Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by twilightkitty on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:41 pm

I need like 3/4 of the list!
twilightkitty

Female
Number of posts : 343
Location : Forks, Wahington 98331 (If you read Twilight, you'll get it!)
Registration date : 2008-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:35 pm

YAY! 2 more members! 78 more by January, and I will reach my goal!

Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Polarity on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:38 pm

What is your goal?
Polarity
Admin

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:40 pm

DO THE MATH!!!!! Just kidding! 100 by 2009.... Smile lol!

Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Polarity on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:41 pm

LOL!!! I knew that when I asked, I just wanted to see your response to that...haahhahaha
Polarity
Admin

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:50 pm

Goodnight! I just requested to become a Guru! YAY!

Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Polarity on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Oh, you lucky! You know it's 50 unique trades, right? LOL

Oh, and congrats and goodnight, and let us know how it goes! Smile

Last edited by Polarity on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added)
Polarity
Admin

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next